Note: The card reader mentioned in this article is only available for processing payments in Canada, the UK, certain European countries, Australia, and New Zealand. For processing at-the-door sales in the United States please see Using a Stripe M2 or Chipper 2X with BoxOffice to sell tickets at the door (USD)
Universe supports selling tickets at the door of your event using the Stripe WisePad3. The WisePad terminal is a PCI-compliant battery-powered Bluetooth card reader. The handheld, mobile reader connects to iOS and Android devices. Stripe WisePad supports contactless EMV chip and tap transactions (including mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay).
To use a WisePad with BoxOffice you must enable Stripe Connect as your payment processor for your event(s) (learn more here).
The WisePad costs £49/ €59 / $79CAD / NZ$99 / A$89. To purchase a Wisepad3 from Stripe log-in to your Stripe account, navigate to the Terminal section in your Dashboard and click Shop.
Warning: The Stripe WisePad is currently only available for use in the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
The card readers depend on your physical location, and will not work outside of your Stripe account country.
Connect the Stripe WisePad3
Important: To use a supported card reader with BoxOffice you must first enable Stripe Connect as your payment processor for (learn more here).
- Ensure the Bluetooth function of your iOS or Android device is ON before pairing. To turn on the WisePad press and release the power button. The status light turns on to indicate power.
- Log-in to BoxOffice and go to the Settings tab, select Sell and Scan Settings, select Card Readers and choose Stripe WisePad 3 from the list.
- After you have successfully selected Stripe WisePad 3, a PCI Scope Obligation form will appear. Enter the first and last name of the person who will be transacting payments using the device and tap Accept and Connect Card Reader.
- Select your desired currency. While holding your scanning device close to your card reader, tap Connect. A prompt will appear asking for BoxOffice to use your location. You must allow location access in order to process payments.
Note: On iOS devices you must select “allow while using the app”. Selecting ‘Allow Once’ or ‘Don’t Allow’ will result in an error.
Note: To successfully connect a Chipper with BoxOffice you must be processing payments using Stripe Connect (learn more here).
- After allowing location access, your device’s serial number will display in the app. Tap Connect again to sync the card reader.
Note: Your card reader will now be connected to the app. The card reader’s green LED will be ON and your serial number will appear in BoxOffice under the card reader selection.You are now ready to process payments through BoxOffice.
Note: To disconnect a WisePad from BoxOffice go to the Settings tab, select Sell and Scan Settings, press Card Readers and click Disconnect under Stripe WisePad 3. This option will only appear if there is already an active connection.
Note: in order to sell tickets through the BoxOffice app with the WisePad card reader, you will
need to be logged in as the host account in BoxOffice, or have been invited to join the team by
the host using the BoxOffice ‘Join Team’ feature. For more information on the ‘Join Team’
functionality, please refer to this article.
- After you have successfully connected the WisePad, return to the Sell tab and add a ticket to your cart. Next, tap Checkout, followed by WisePad 3 as the payment method.
- Direct the buyer to insert or tap their card on the WisePad
Tip: When inserting a card, ensure that the EMV chip of the card is facing the right direction. When using a NFC card, ensure the NFC payment card is within a 4 cm range of the NFC marking
- Fill in the buyer name and email address (optional) and tap Charge to process the payment.
Note: The Buyer Information fields become optional at the start time of the event/timeslot. If the email address field is left blank, buyers will not receive a copy of their tickets or receipt. The tickets/order will be attributed to the event organizer’s name and email in reports.
- Once payment is processed you will see an Order Confirmation page in BoxOffice where you can check in the buyer’s tickets and/or return to the Sell tab to create a new order.
Payments processed through the Wisepad3 are subject to Stripe Terminal fees. These fees differ by the country of your Stripe Account and your transaction currency. To confirm the pricing of Terminal fees on your Stripe account please see the ‘Terminal Section’ on Stripe’s pricing page
Custom pricing may be available through Stripe for companies with large payments volume or unique business models. (For more information, please contact Stripe sales).
The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system. These fees are deducted from the payment, and are not added to the total.
You can create an additional fee that is only applied to tickets sold at the door, and passed to your buyers, in order to recoup Stripe’s fees. You can learn more on how to add additional fees here.
Warning: The Stripe processing fee charged by Stripe may not exactly match the additional fees you set up. Find more information on how fees are calculated, here.
All tickets/orders processed through the WisePad will show in your reports. In the Orders and Ticket Reports the Payment Provider column will say Card and the Provider Source Type will be ios_stripe_terminal_wisepad3 or android_stripe_terminal_wisepad3, depending on the device OS. Funds from these orders will be auto-deposited into your Stripe account and paid to your connected bank following your standard Stripe payout schedule.
The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system. Stripe fees will not be included in Universe reports as the fees are deducted outside of the Universe platform. Stripe’s own report offerings will include their Stripe Terminal fees. For more information see our guide on Reconciling Stripe Connect payment processing fees.
Refunds and Customer Support:
All tickets/orders processed through the WisePad will be searchable from the Orders & Attendees page of your event, and from the Guestlist tab in the BoxOffice app. If the name and email address field are left blank at the time of purchase, buyers will not receive a copy of their tickets or their receipt. Those tickets/orders will be attributed to the event organizer’s name and email. The best way to search and attribute these orders to the true buyer is searching by the last 4 digits of the credit card used at time of purchase, the date/time of the transaction, and then verifying the total cost, and ticket types purchased.
Refunds can be processed directly through BoxOffice from the Guestlist tab, or through the Orders & Attendees page of your event on Universe.com (learn more here).