Note: Tap to Pay on iPhone is currently only for processing payments in the United States.
Easily sell tickets at the door of your event by configuring your iOS device into a payment terminal. By enabling Tap-to-Pay, iPhones can accept contactless card and digital wallet payments without any additional hardware.
To use Tap to Pay with BoxOffice you must first enable Stripe Connect as your payment processor for both web and terminal sales (learn more here).
Payments are accepted through your Stripe account, and funds from these orders will be deposited to your connected bank following your standard Stripe payout schedule.
Tap to Pay is currently available for iOS only. To enable tap to pay, users must be on iOS 16 or later and using an iPhone XS or later. iPads are not supported. Please see list of eligible devices:
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS/XS Max
- iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd or 3rd gen.)
- iPhone 12/12 mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13/13 mini/13 Pro/13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14/14 Plus/14 Pro/14 Pro Max
Enabling Tap To Pay on iPhone
Once you have enabled Stripe Connect for both Web and Terminal sales, follow the following steps to enable Tap to Pay on your iPhone.
1. Log-in to the BoxOffice app and go to the Settings tab, select Sell and Scan Settings > Card Readers > Tap to Pay.
2. After you have successfully selected Tap to Pay, a PCI Scope Obligation form will appear. Enter the first and last name of the person who will be transacting payments using the device and tap Accept and connect card reader.
3. Verify that USD is the selected currency. A prompt will appear asking for BoxOffice to use your location. You must allow location access in order to process payments.
Note: You must select “allow while using the app”. Selecting ‘Allow Once’ or ‘Don’t Allow’ will result in an error.
4. After allowing location access, press Connect at the bottom of the menu. A screen will appear asking you to select your terminal. “This Device” will be already pre-selected. Tap Connect again.
5. Select a location from where you will be processing payments. This location name will show on the Tap to Payment screen. Select Done.
Note: By default Universe will detect your current address and use that as your location name. However, you can customize your location name from your Stripe dashboard to show the name of your event, your business, or a different address using these steps.
6. The first time you set up Tap to Pay you will be prompted to accept Apple’s Tap to Pay Terms & Conditions and link your Apple ID. Tap ‘Continue with this Apple ID’ to continue and complete set up. This only needs to be done the first time you set up Tap to Pay.
Your device will then sync with Stripe to complete the set up. You will see a blue bar with the words “Connecting Stripe Terminal” at the top of the screen. Once this disappears, the set up is complete and you can proceed to process payments using Tap to Pay.
How to Sell Tickets with Tap to Pay
1. After you have successfully linked your Stripe account and enabled Tap to Pay, return to the Sell tab and add a ticket to your cart. Next, tap Checkout, followed by Tap to Pay.
2. On the next screen the Apple Tap to Pay prompt will launch automatically. Buyers will be prompted to tap their card on top of the device directly.
Note: By default this screen shows the address used in step 5 of set up. If you would like to customize the display name you can do so from your Stripe Dashboard following these steps.
Note: This step authorizes the payment, but the buyer’s card will not be charged until after the next step.
3. Once the payment is authorized, enter the buyers name and email address in the “Buyer Info” section. Tap Charge to process their payment, charge their card, and issue their tickets.
Note: These fields are mandatory until the start of your timeslot, and optional after.
Warning: If the email address field is left blank, buyers will not receive a copy of their tickets or receipt. The tickets/order will be attributed to the event organizer’s name and email in reports.
4. Once payment is processed you will see an Order Confirmation page in BoxOffice where you can check in the buyer’s tickets and/or return to the Sell tab to create a new order.
Payments processed through Tap to Pay on iPhone are subject to Stripe Terminal fees.
Currently terminal fees for USD transactions start at 2.7% + $0.05 for most cards, plus an additional $0.10 fee for using Tap to Pay.
Additional fees may apply for interac debit, international cards, and currency conversions. To confirm the pricing on your Stripe account please see the ‘Terminal Section’ on Stripe’s pricing page.
Custom pricing may be available through Stripe for companies with large payments volume or unique business models. (For more information, please contact Stripe sales).
The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system.
You can create an additional fee that is only applied to tickets sold at the door, and passed to your buyers, in order to recoup Stripe’s fees. You can learn more on how to add additional fees here.
Warning: The Stripe processing fee charged by Stripe may not exactly match the additional fees you set up. Find more information on how fees are calculated here.
All tickets/orders processed through Tap to Pay will show in your reports. In the Orders and Ticket Reports the Payment Provider column will say Card. The Provider Source Type will say “ios_stripe_tap”.
Funds from these orders will be auto-deposited into your Stripe account and paid to your connected bank following your standard Stripe payout schedule.
The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system. Stripe fees will not be included in Universe reports as the fees are deducted outside of the Universe platform. Stripe’s own report offerings will include their Stripe Terminal fees. For more information see our guide on Reconciling Stripe Connect payment processing fees.
Troubleshooting & FAQs:
Customizing your location name
The location name displayed on Apple’s Tap To Pay screen is the one selected in set up step 5. By default Universe will detect your current address and use that as your location name. However, you can customize your location name from your Stripe dashboard to show the name of your event, your business, or a different address.
To customize your location name take the following steps:
- Log into your Stripe account dashboard at https://dashboard.stripe.com/
- On your dashboard select ‘More’ and then ‘Terminal’
- Scroll down to the ‘Locations’ section. Here you will see a list of any locations you have already set up. If you set up Tap To Pay through the BoxOffice app already, you should see an address here
- Click ‘New’. A form will appear for you to enter the details of the location. The name you enter here is what will show to customers on the Apple Tap to Pay screen.
- Enter your details and click ‘Save’. Your new location should show in the locations section of your dashboard.
- Once you have added the new location, go through the Tap To Pay set up steps again. When prompted to select a location, you will see your new location in the list. Simply select it to use your custom location name.
Article is closed for comments.