It is absolutely free to create an event page on Universe and it only takes a couple minutes to set up. You can either create an in-person event or virtual. If you would like to create an in-person event, please follow our guide here.
Once your basic event details are saved you will be able to access advanced settings to manage & promote your event.
Note: As of December 20th 2020, the Universe fee is absorbed into the ticket price by default for all virtual events. If you would like to pass the Universe service fee on to your buyers, you can do so by adding an additional fee to your event.
To Create An Event and Sell Tickets:
1. Log-in or sign up to your Universe account and click the 'Host Events' button located at the top of your screen. Then, click 'create an event' and follow the prompts.
2. You will then be re-directed to the event creation form. Enter your basic information here:
- What is your event called?: Enter the name of your event. The field is limited to a maximum of 75 characters.
- Description: Describe your event and include any details you would like your attendees or customers to know and set expectations/restrictions. Use the tool bar above the Description field to customize formatting, add links, photos, videos, etc.
- Enter contact details (optional): Enter contact information to make it easy for attendees to reach you. This information will show on tickets only and is never displayed publicly on your event page.
- Add a category: Select a category from the dropdown menu that best represents your event.
- Who can see your event: By default, your event is listed as 'Public' and will be searchable through Universe's directory and search engines. If you would like your event to be private, you can set your event to 'Unlisted', which means that only people with the event URL can see your event page. If your event is unlisted, you can hide social share button from your event.
3. Toggle 'Virtual Event' and set the time of your event
In order to be redirected to the virtual event creation flow, you will need to select 'This is a virtual event'. This will eliminate the need for an event location.
- Date & Time: Use the dropdown date picker to set your event's start and end times. Add as many dates as needed by selecting the 'Add another date' button. Use the 'hide the date and time from showing on tickets' toggle, if needed (only available if your event page has one date).
- Organizer's Address: Enter your address. This is required for your local timezone, localization and tax purposes. Charging taxes is at the sole discretion and responsibility of the event organizer. If enabled, you are responsible for all local tax laws and Universe does not withhold or remit taxes collected on your behalf. Universe provides no guarantee the taxes set up on an event page are accurate according to any laws. For more information, please follow our guide charge tax on your tickets.
- Connection details: Enter the link to your virtual event. Buyers will receive an email with these details 1 hour before the event. You can also include your link in the 'Additional order messages' section if you are worried buyers will not have enough time to receive the link.
Warning: To ensure your ticket buyers receive their emails by 1 hour before your event start, we begin sending emails starting 2 hours before. Please ensure your Connection details are updated and correct by 2 hours before your event time.
- Currency: The display and transaction currency defaults based on the location of the organizer's address. Click on the currency to open a dropdown menu and change either the display currency (how the ticket price is shown to buyers) or the transaction currency (how buyers' will be charged and how you will be paid out on your event).
Warning: Your event link is sent to buyers 1 hour before the start of the event to minimize the likelihood of buyers sending the link to others. If you need to edit or add connection details, you will need to do it 2.5 hours before the event otherwise your details will not automatically send to your buyers. If you want to ensure maximum control over who is able to join your event, there are certain software that allow you to enable a waiting room and selectively choose who to accept into your event.
Note: If you would like find out how to set up unique links for individual buyers, please contact support.
4. What tickets will you offer?:
- Create as many ticket types as needed. Select either the 'Paid', 'Free', or 'Donation' button for each ticket type you would like to set up and enter the details of the ticket.
Note: The quantity you enter will be the quantity available for each date that your event is occurring on.
- To access the advanced settings for a ticket type, select the edit button (gear icon) beside the ticket and enter any desired information including a description, availability (ticket sales start and end time), and the status (available, hidden, or locked).
Warning: With virtual events, only the ticket buyer will receive an email with connection details. You will not be able to create a ticket type that allows buyers to purchase tickets for a friend as they will not be sent the details to connect to your event.
Note: You can set a maximum event capacity for your event. The maximum capacity will indicate how many people can register for your event before it becomes sold out. The default capacity is the sum of the maximum quantities for each ticket type. However, you can change this to limit the total number of tickets available across all ticket types.
- Add a note to tickets (optional): You can enter a note that will only show to confirmed buyers. This note will be displayed in the buyer's confirmation email and in their ticket. This note is never displayed publicly on your event page. If you are concerned that buyers are unable to receive the link in time, you can include your link here so that buyers have the link ready.
Warning: If the link is made available in the 'Additional order message', buyers will receive the link immediately after purchasing a ticket which can lead to your link being shared.
- Set a refund Policy: Set a refund policy for your event. This will show at checkout and on the order summary. If your refund policy is changed after tickets have been sold, the new policy will apply to future orders only.
5. Design your event (optional):
If you have uploaded an image on this page, that image will appear on your event display page - if not we will randomly assign an image to you, which you can always go back and edit later. For a full guide on photos, click here.
'Social media photo' is the photo that will appear as an icon at checkout, this is typically a company logo or something small and simple.
'Event page cover image' appears on your Universe event page as well as on any tickets sold. This is a larger image and we recommend to use a photo with no text that is not too busy.
6. Publish Event:
Select 'Publish event' to make your event live and allow buyers to book tickets.
Select 'Schedule' to make your event live at a later date and time.
Select the 'Save as draft' button to create your event but not make it live. With all three options you can come back and make changes later on.
Note: You'll need to confirm your account before you can 'Publish' your event listing. To do so, check your email for a message with the subject "Events await! Please confirm your account" and then click 'confirm email'.
Advanced Features / Manage & Promote Your Event:
Once your event page is created, you'll be redirected to your event's Manage Page to access advanced settings that allow you to easily manage and promote your event.
With virtual events, Universe fees are absorbed into the ticket price by default. You can add an additional fee if you’d like extra revenue to help alleviate the costs.
To see how fees are calculated, please see our guide here.
You will be unable to add attendees manually for virtual events. If you need to create a comp ticket type, you can either use access keys or a discount code to allow your guests to purchase a ticket on their own.
On Your Event Day:
Buyers will be sent an email with your connection details by 1 hour before the event is meant to begin. Please ensure that you are ready before then so that buyers can join your event promptly.