Refunds on Universe can only be sent back to the original payment method used for a purchase. It is not possible for us to send a refund to a different destination (e.g., another card or bank account). This means that some refunds may be processed back to a credit card that has expired or been cancelled. We've included more information on what happens in common cases where this occurs.
- Refund sent to expired or cancelled credit card
- Refund sent to closed credit card
- Refund sent to closed credit card, bank account and business
- Refund sent to a pre-paid credit card
Refund sent to expired or cancelled credit card
If your credit card has expired or if you have cancelled your credit card (due to a lost or stolen card, for example) the refund will be applied by your card issuer to your new or replacement card. No action is required by you.
It can take 5 - 7 business days for the refund to reflect on your card statement.
Refund sent to closed credit card
If you have fully closed your credit card account, the refund will be processed by your card issuer in one of two ways
- The most common option is to send the refund to the bank account that was linked to your credit card. Please check your bank account statement for the refund. No action is required by you.
It can take 5 - 10 business days for the refund to reflect on your bank statement.
- If the card issuer is unable to issue a refund to the bank account (if the bank account is also closed, for example) then they may issue and mail a cheque for the refund amount. It will be sent to the address they have on file. You may need to contact your card issuer to confirm your address.
Refund sent to closed credit card, bank account and business
In some cases your card issuer may be unable to issue the refund to your bank account or via a cheque. This is most commonly occurs when:
- Tickets were purchased using a business credit card &
- The credit card and bank account have been closed &
- The business entity the card and account were issued to no longer exist.
In these cases the card issuer will generally attempt to first send the refund to a linked account or via cheque. If they are unable to issue the refund in that manner, they will return the funds to our payment processor. You will then be notified by them to arrange a new refund. It can take up to 30 days from the original refund date for the card issuer to return the funds to our payment processor.
Refund sent to a pre-paid credit card
If you made your original purchase using a pre-paid Visa, Mastercard, or American Express card, the refund will be sent back to that card. You should see the funds added back to your pre-paid card balance within 7 business days. If you do not see the funds credited to the card within 7 business days, if you have lost the pre-paid card please contact the card issuer directly.
Article is closed for comments.