Note: This feature is currently in Limited Closed Beta and is not available to all users. If you are interested in more information about this feature, please Contact Support.
Universe supports selling tickets at the door of your event using the Stripe Chipper 2X. The Chipper is a battery-powered Bluetooth card reader. The handheld, mobile reader connects to iOS and Android devices. Stripe Chippers supports EMV chip and tap transactions, (including mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay), as well as magnetic-stripe swipes.
To use a Chipper with BoxOffice you must enable Stripe Connect as your payment processor for your event(s) (learn more here).
The Chipper costs $59 USD. To purchase a Chipper, log-in to your Stripe account, navigate to the Terminal section in your Dashboard and click Shop.
Note: The Stripe Chipper is currently only available for use in the US. Hardware can only be shipped to locations within the continental U.S., Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
Connect the Stripe Chipper 2X
- Ensure the Bluetooth function of your iOS or Android device is ON before pairing. To turn on the Chipper, press and release the power button. The status light turns on to indicate power.
- Log-in to BoxOffice and go to the Settings tab, select Sell and Scan Settings, select Card Readers and choose Stripe Chipper 2X from the list.
- After you have successfully selected Stripe Chipper 2X, a PCI Scope Obligation form will appear. Enter the first and last name of the person who will be transacting payments using the device and tap Accept and Connect Card Reader.
- Select your desired currency. While holding your scanning device close to the Chipper click Connect. When connected, the Chipper's green LED will be ON and your Chipper serial number will appear in BoxOffice under the card reader selection.
Note: To successfully connect a Chipper with BoxOffice you must be processing payments using Stripe Connect (learn more here).
- You are now ready to process payments through BoxOffice.
Note: To disconnect a Chipper from BoxOffice go to the Settings tab, select Sell and Scan Settings, press Card Readers and click Disconnect under Stripe Chipper 2X. This option will only appear if there is already an active Chipper connection.
- After you have successfully connected the Chipper, return to the Sell tab and add a ticket to your cart. Next, tap Checkout, followed by Chipper 2X as the payment method.
2. Fill in the buyer information (optional). When the buyer is ready to pay, tap Charge.
Note: The Buyer Information fields become optional at the start time of the event/timeslot. If the email address field is left blank, buyers will not receive a copy of their tickets or receipt. The tickets/order will be attributed to the event organizer’s name and email in reports.
- Direct the buyer to swipe, insert or tap their card on the Chipper to complete the transaction.
Tip: If swiping or inserting a card, ensure that the magstripe or EMV chip of the card is facing the right direction. If using a NFC card, ensure the NFC payment card is within 4cm range on top of the NFC marking.
- Once payment is processed you will see an Order Confirmation page in BoxOffice where you can check in the buyer’s tickets and/or return to the Sell tab to create a new order.
Payments processed through the Chipper are subject to Stripe Terminal fees, which are currently 2.7% + $0.05 for most cards, with an additional $0.15 per transaction for Interac debit cards.
An additional fee of 0.6% is required for international cards, and another 2% fee will apply if currency conversion is required. The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system.
Custom pricing may be available through Stripe for companies with large payments volume or unique business models. (For more information, please contact Stripe sales).
These fees are deducted from the payment, not added to the total. For example: When selling a $100 ticket, under the typical 2.7% + $0.05 Terminal fee, $97.25 will be credited to your Stripe Account. (This assumes that you are passing your Universe fees onto the customer).
Ticket Price: $100.00
Stripe Terminal fee 2.7% : $2.70
Stripe Terminal flat fee: $0.05
Fee Total: $2.75
Ticket Price less fees: $97.25
Tip: You can create an additional fee that is only applied to tickets sold at the door, and passed to your buyers, in order to recoup Stripe’s fees. You can learn more on how to add additional fees here.
Warning: The Stripe processing fee charged by Stripe may not exactly match the additional fees you set up. Find more information on how fees are calculated, here.
All tickets/orders processed through the Chipper will show in your reports. In the Orders and Ticket Reports the Payment Provider column will say Card and the Provider Source Type will be ios_stripe_terminal_chipper2x or android_stripe_terminal_chipper2x, depending on the device OS. Funds from these orders will be auto-deposited into your Stripe account and paid to your connected bank following your standard Stripe payout schedule.
The Stripe Terminal fees will be charged to you by Stripe and not passed on as a Universe fee in our system. Stripe fees will not be included in Universe reports as the fees are deducted outside of the Universe platform. Stripe’s own report offerings will include their Stripe Terminal fees. For more information see our guide on Reconciling Stripe Connect payment processing fees.
Refunds and Customer Support:
All tickets/orders processed through the Chipper will be searchable from the Orders & Attendees page of your event, and from the Guestlist tab in the BoxOffice app. If the name and email address field are left blank at the time of purchase, buyers will not receive a copy of their tickets or their receipt. Those tickets/orders will be attributed to the event organizer’s name and email. The best way to search and attribute these orders to the true buyer is searching by the last 4 digits of the credit card used at time of purchase, the date/time of the transaction, and then verifying the total cost, and ticket types purchased.
Refunds can be processed directly through BoxOffice from the Guestlist tab, or through the Orders & Attendees page of your event on Universe.com (learn more here).